Serra Clubs Work & Pray for Vocations!
Serra Clubs are lay organizations whose members, Catholic lay men and women and permanent deacons, have joined together to foster vocations to the priesthood and religious life and to further Catholicism through their own Christian vocations to service.The Serra movement is international in scope, Catholic in emphasis and character, and democratic in practice. Its name was taken from Blessed Junipero Serra, the noted Spanish Franciscan missionary, who played a leading part in early missionary work in Mexico and the Western United States.
What do members of the Serra Club hope to accomplish?
- To foster and promote vocations to the priesthood and religious life and to support priests and religious in whatever way possible.
- To further Catholicism by encouraging its members, in fellowship, through education, to fulfill their Christian vocations in Service.
Meetings & Contact Information
- The Serra Club of Youngstown meets twice a month. Business meetings are held at St. Christine’s Church in Youngstown. For more information, contact the president, Mr. John Ruggieri at (330) 726-1600.
Some Serra Club projects are:
- Speaking to children and youth at parishes and within schools about Religious Vocations.
- Ushering and providing a reception at ordinations of priests and permanent deacons.
- Hosting a summer picnic for seminarians and young men discerning priesthood.
- Providing financial aid for various events.
- Promote the Thirty-one Club in which people in parishes are encouraged to choose a day in the month during which they pledge to pray as a family for priestly and religious vocations.
- Promote the Traveling Cross or Chalice in which a family within a parish takes the Cross or Chalice home for one week and prayers together as a family during each day of the week for Priestly and Religious vocations.
Serran Prayer for Vocations
O God, who wills not the death of a sinner, but rather that he be converted and live, grant, we beseech You, through the intercession of the Blessed Junipero Serra, and all the Saints, an increase of laborers for your Church, fellow laborers with Christ to spend and consume themselves for souls, through the same Jesus Christ, Your Son, who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God forever and ever.